Home | Quotations | Newspaper Articles | Special Features | Links | Search

The San Francisco Daily Morning Call, September 27, 1864


A SECOND SOBER THOUGHT. - On Sunday afternoon a young lady was seen to go out to the end of Third street wharf, get out on a stringer and make a motion as if to precipitate herself into the Bay. Those who observed her movements, supposing she was about to attempt suicide, rushed down to rescue her, and as they approached, she hesitated; said it was no use to do it; seemed to have concluded to desist. But when her would-be deliverers were near her, she repeated the movement and a second time yielded to her better judgment or impulses, or something else -- at all events she changed her mind. Grief, from some cause, it is said, prompted her to commit suicide.

[Not in Branch's list. Transcribed from microfilm, p. 1.]


A WHALE BEACHED. - A monster whale of the hump-back species was discovered about six o'clock yesterday morning, by Mr. J. F. Wilson, who was riding on the sea beach, between the Ocean House and Cliff House. When first seen it was heading for the shore, and about nine o'clock was found hard aground on the beach. Its length is about seventy feet, and is said to be the largest ever brought ashore in this vicinity. He is on exhibition and for sale at the place where he landed. Persons wishing to see the creature, or take stock in him, can receive all needed information on the subject by calling on Mr. J. F. Wilson, of Wilson's Stables, Montgomery street, opposite the Pioneer Building.

[transcribed from microfilm, p. 1.]


NARROW ESCAPE. - The Mission Railroad train carromed on a buggy last Saturday morning, or rather it grazed the buggy and carromed on one of the horses, striking him in the rear; and it is thought that if the car had had a little "English" on it, it would have turned him inside out. As it was, it damaged him past recovery, perhaps. Mr. B. R. Nickerson and an invalid young lady were in the buggy, but escaped by a a hair breadth the deadly peril that menaced them. No whistle was blown, or bell rung, to announce the approach of the train, which came stern-foremost, with the locomotive pushing it; or if such warning was given, it was not done when close enough for Mr. Nickerson to hear it. He was driving along beside the track, and only heard the rumbling of the train behind him in time to turn the horses aside at the moment he was in the act of driving across the road. We have not heard before of an instance of carelessness like this on the Mission Railroad; and after this lesson we shall probably not hear of another soon. The bells or whistles should be sounded constantly when the cars are traversing frequented streets. The horse injured by the accident was worth six hundred dollars.

[transcribed from microfilm, p. 2.]

Return to Call index


Quotations | Newspaper Articles | Special Features | Links | Search